Saturday, February 18, 2012

Say it's true: Sazerac

Tonight's libation:  The official cocktail of New Orleans, the Sazerac.  I know, I was surprised too, to find out that it is not the Hurricane.  I am also relieved, and have a little more respect for the city, that something like the Sazerac is the official cocktail.

There are several variations, some include a ritual of muddling a sugar cube with bitters and rye in an old fashioned glass and then stirring, and pouring into another cooled old fashioned glass.  I did not partake in this ritual, mostly for time's sake, but also because I have simple syrup on hand and did not want grit of undissolved sugar in my drink.

South Central Sazerac

Place glasses in freezer (I put them in the icemaker box in the ice)
2 oz Bulleit Rye
1 tsp simple syrup
2 dashes of Peychaud's bitters
1 dash Angostura bitters
Shake

In cooled glasses, place 1/2 tsp of absinthe (or Herbsaint or Pernod if you don't have absinthe and don't want to spend $45+ for a bottle) and rinse the glass with the absinthe, discard (the absinthe, not the glass).

Pour the rye mixture into the absnithe coated glass
Garnish with lemon twist - rub the glass rim with the lemon twist and if you can, squeeze some oil drops into the drink.  I was not successful with that particular move.  Oh well, it was still a really good drink.  Warm, earthy, with a nice anise taste but not overpowering.  The simple syrup toned down the rye burn, too, which I liked.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!


No comments:

Post a Comment