Saturday, February 18, 2012

In honor of my father......

Today's cocktail, the Aviation, is made in honor of my father, Fred.  His adult life has been spent in the pursuit of many things aviation:  fighter pilot (well, aviator to be absolutely correct, the USMC is a branch of the Navy after all), aviation litigator.  He can't seem to retire or relax, even though he has more than earned it.  So I'll do it for him.....bottoms up!

I guess I am jumping on the pre-prohibition era cocktail bandwagon (or is it spruce goose?).....but the flavors and colors are so fun, I can't help myself.

I made my Aviation with:

2 oz Aviation gin (though any high quality will do)
1/2 oz Luxardo (maraschino liqueur)
1/4 oz Creme de Violette
1 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice (Meyer lemons for me, please)

Shake and serve straight up with a cherry:


The creme de violette gives it a lovely blue tinge.  The first sip was very maraschino-y which was somewhat overpowering.  However, the longer the drink sat, the more delicious it became.  The maraschino went from the forefront to behind the scenes, and the drink has a nice balance of tart and sweet (recurring theme here).  Variations include substituting Cointreau (or other orange liqueur) for the Luxardo, then it becomes a Moonlight, I believe.  Can't wait to try it!

Salud and Cheers!

Katie

Addendum & a word of caution:  This is my new favorite drink.  As the drink settled, the flavor was exquisite.  And it will get you bombed in a matter of about 10 minutes.  Not that is what I was going for, but just to caution you.  Within 20 minutes of finishing the drink, I was feeling very, very good.  But I would have been feeling very, very bad if I had made another.

No comments:

Post a Comment