Sunday, February 12, 2012

Mannhattan in Austin

Along with the martini, my understanding is the Manhattan is also a "sophisticate's" drink.  I did a fair bit of internet research, and there are many opinions on what the base of the manhattan should be.  The zealots seemed to maintain that Rye is the only true main component.  Others suggest bourbon is an acceptable substitute.  I had makers mark on hand, and I did not have Rye, so I decided to throw caution to the wind and make it with bourbon.  I am so glad I did!

50 ml Makers Mark
20 ml sweet vermouth (Martini brand)

Shake with ice, garnish with a twist.

It was very warming, and somewhat sweet with a burn at the end.  I woud definitely make this again.

I also would try some other variations - addition of Angostura bitters, addition of some dry vermouth, there are subtle changes that may change the character of the drink.  I'll keep you posted!

Salud & Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment