Saturday, March 3, 2012

Not so into the Negroni

Well, in keeping with sort of old timey simpler cocktails, I decided to acquire some Campari and try a Negroni.  A Negroni is an apertif or apertivo, meaning it is something to whet the apetite, or a before meal cocktail.  As opposed to a digestif, which is taken after dinner to aid digestion (supposedly!).

The Negroni is published anywhere from equal parts gin, Campari and sweet vermouth to 2 parts gin to 1 part Campari and Vermouth.  I went with the latter.


So I found it extremely bitter.  I know, Campari is a bitter, but wow, very bitter.  I took a couple sips, and could not go on.  So I probably desecrated it, but I added a few splashes of San Pelligrino limonata soda.  That made it much more palatable.    I kind of like it now.  I would make it again.  
And I like martinis.  So, it is not that I needed an extremely fruity drink, but the bitterness was overwhelming.  An acquired taste, perhaps?
Campari and soda is also an apertif, maybe Campari and San Pelligrino limonata. I'll let you know!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment