Saturday, January 12, 2013

Making the most of the day

Well, the final quarter of 2012 went by without so much as a post from yours truly....and for this I do apologize.  One of the things about trying out a slew of new cocktail recipes is that you find many that you want to make and make again.  Because I did not want to be overly repetitive, I didn't post on favorite repeats.

Plus, there was that whole acute abdominal pain after a day of drinking citrus and booze in its many iterations (blood orange mimosas!  mexican martinis with serrano infused tequila!  hydrochloric acid in my esophagus!).  Glad to say a visit to the GI doctor and his trusty endoscope reveal nothing that a daily dose of omeprazole can't manage.  But the bland diet no booze for 2 weeks did put another damper on the cocktail train.

And, then there are the holidays.  The time warp from November to early January - where does it go?

So....now that things are back to normal, time to get back on the blog bandwagon!

This drink is a spin on the traditional mint julep of Kentucky Derby fame.  The resurgence in interest in KY's greatest export (I have no idea if this is true, but it sounds good) - Bourbon, Rye, and now white corn whiskey (aka white dog, moonshine, white lightening) has made all of these spirits much more easily accessible.  Yay for me!

So, I put slightly < 1 oz of simple syrup in a shaker, muddled some fresh mint sprigs, added 1/2 oz or so of Meyer lemon juice (I squeezed a bunch into a glass bottle for ease of use), and added 3 oz white corn whiskey.  Add ice, shake, and then strain over crushed ice in a glass.  Garnish with sprig of mint.

Like all things in a stream of consciousness life....one project or hobby leads to another.  The mint has me wanting to build raised bed herb gardens in the back yard.  If you come over to help build them, I'll make you one of these fine drinks!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment