Saturday, June 1, 2013

Simply Siesta

With the renewed interest in Campari, I also decided to try my hand at some Aperol concoctions.  Made by the same company, Aperol is a bit lighter booze wise, a little less bitter, and maybe a bit fruitier.  Sign me up.

This recipe is in the PDT Cocktail book, and calls for Campari, but knowing my tastebuds and having just purchased a bottle of Aperol, and because I am pathologically prohibited from following a recipe exactly as written, I substitued Aperol for the Campari.  It was delicious, and had a nice bitter undertone without being too powerful.  That being said, I think I will try the next one with Campari just to taste the difference.

I suspect with more bitter grapefruit juice, the Aperol might lend itself well, but our grapefruits in Texas are much more sweet than bitter, so the Campari might add the bitter complexity the drink needs.

I would definitely make this again, but I have moved on to the Aperol spritz as the go to summer drink, as it is not too boozy and is very refreshing....another post indeed.



Siesta

2 oz silver tequila
1/2 oz fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
1/2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
1/2 oz Campari (I used Aperol)

Stir or shake over ice, strain into a coupe.  Garnish optional.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment