Monday, July 16, 2012

Bourbon is king

Of all the base spirits, I think Bourbon is my favorite.  I love the butterscotch color, the vanilla/spice flavor.  It can be sophisticated without being boring or pretentious.  It may be a battle between Bourbon and Gin, with Rye coming a close third.  A war where everyone wins!

Salted caramel desserts seem all the rage these days, and for good reason.  I decided to join the fray.  I made ice cream with caramel, bourbon and sea salt.  OMG.  DO NOT MAKE THIS AT HOME!!!!!!!!  Unless you want to eat a quart of ice cream in one sitting.  Wow.


One can of sweetened condensed milk
One pint of cream
Caramel syrup
Sea Salt, course
Bourbon (I used Woodford Reserve)

Whisk cream and milk, add in caramel syrup (1/4-1/2 cup to taste)
Add 2-3 oz bourbon, continue whisking.  Add a few shakes of salt in, place in ice cream maker.  Half way through once the ice cream is solidifying, add a few more shakes of salt so that when you get the finished product, you will get occasional chunks of sea salt.  Soooooooooo delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment